Monday, March 26, 2007

Broadband Solution in Australia.

Now this is a cute topic. Anyone who has seen or heard my rants will know that the internet in down under is so bad, it isn't even funny. It's like living in a third world these days, no water, no half-decent internet.... etc etc.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when the leader of the opposition Federal party announced that they will introduce broadband to everyone if they are elected.

Presently, ADSL2+ are only available to the major (usually capital) cities, so anywhere further (like me, which is actually only 45 minutes from the city) are stuck with some copper wire crap ADSL1. 1500/256 connection is what we have. Ugh.

But I don't really mind the speed.

What I am very very annoyed with is the service provided. Somehow, the modem always loses sync with the exchange, resulting in frequent internet downtimes which is very frustrating at times, especially when you really need the internet.

However, should I be a small business operating over the internet, this issue will be even more annoying for me. How am I supposed to sell/buy my stuff on Ebay with such a terrible connection? How am I supposed to communicate with Clients over such a noisy pipe?

But, the only thing holding back will be the cost. It's going to be very expensive to lay optic fiber cables over such a large land space.

However, if optic fiber isn't possible, then, please, at least, do something about those damned price. $100+ a month for an unlimited 1500/256 connection gets me laughed at no matter who I talk to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home